SVA is the unmatched leader in sports coverage & source for College Sports …
Content by UK ATHLETICS – Sports View America …
Please check us out on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK …
KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY at VANDERBILT – MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM | NASHVILLE, TENN. – FEB. 11, 2020
Final Score: No. 12/12 Kentucky 78, Vanderbilt 64
CBB UK vs Vandy 2-11-20 Box Score
Team Records and Series Notes
- A dominant second half pushed Kentucky to its third win in a row and a 19-5 record overall.
- UK will remain in at least a tie for the Southeastern Conference lead at 8-2, pending the results of LSU (Tuesday) and Auburn (Wednesday).
- UK is 5-2 in true road games, 4-2 on the SEC road.
- Vanderbilt is 9-15 overall, 1-10 in the league.
- UK leads the series 149-47 and has won eight in a row vs. the Commodores. UK has had to come from behind by at least 10 points in five of those eight wins.
- UK leads 59-29 in Nashville, Tennessee, and has won four in a row in Memorial Gymnasium.
- Next up: Kentucky returns home Saturday as the Wildcats host Ole Miss. Game time is 2 p.m. and it will be televised on ESPN.
- Tyrese Maxey had 25 points, four rebounds, two assists and tied a career best with two steals.
- He made a career-high 10 field goals.
- It’s his third game of 25 points or more this season. He also scored 26 vs. Michigan State and 27 vs. Louisville.
- Immanuel Quickley totaled 18 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- He was a sharpshooter on 3 and frees, making 3 of 4 from long range and 7 of 7 at the foul line.
- It is his 13th straight game in double figures.
- Two of his 3-pointers came late to hold off Vanderbilt’s final rally.
- Nick Richards turned in another solid performance with 15 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots.
- UK is 18-1 this season when he scores in double figures.
- His three blocks all occurred in the first 2:05 of the second half to spark Kentucky’s second-half rally.
- Ashton Hagans had 11 points, a career-high 10 rebounds and a game-high eight assists.
- It is his second double-double of the season, third of his career.
- UK is 9-0 in his career when he gets six or more rebounds.
- EJ Montgomery contributed six points, including four key free throws during the second-half surge, and had a strong floor game with nine rebounds and three blocked shots.
Coach John Calipari
- Coaching his 400th game at Kentucky, Calipari is now 324-76 at UK.
- He has a 769-216 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 262-43 against unranked foes under Calipari.
- Kentucky is 145-40 under Calipari in SEC regular-season games.
- He improved to 19-4 all-time vs. Vanderbilt.
- Kentucky limited Vanderbilt to 37.3% from the field.
- UK is 199-19 (.913) under Calipari when keeping the opponent at 40% or less, including 12-3 this season.
- UK won the rebounding 43-32.
- UK is 16-0 this season when claiming the board battle.
- Kentucky has 12 blocked shots, only one shy of the season high vs. Lamar.
- Threes and frees keyed the Wildcats offensively.
- Kentucky made 6 of 9 from 3-point range.
- 66.7% is a season high.
- Entering the game at 78.7% at the foul line, the Wildcats had another solid performance at 84.2% (16 of 19).
- It is UK’s sixth straight game shooting 80% or better and the Cats are 85.1% during that span.
- Kentucky led by as many as 15 points during the game. UK is 279-7 under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points during the game.
In the First Half
- The starting lineup consisted of Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards for the 10th time this season. The Wildcats are 8-2 with the lineup.
- Keion Brooks Jr. was UK’s first substitute at the 15:17 mark.
- Vanderbilt jumped out to a 7-1 lead, with Hagans’ free throw UK’s first score.
- The Commodores eventually stretched their largest lead to 14 points at 34-20 and 36-22.
- Kentucky kept VU scoreless the final 3:50 while scoring the final five points of the half.
- Vanderbilt went to intermission ahead 36-27.
- UK is now 3-3 this season when trailing at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the opening lineup.
- UK got the first four points of the half to cut the lead to 36-31.
- VU stretched it back out to nine points at 44-35.
- A 13-2 run pulled the Wildcats into their first lead of the game, 48-46, with 11:15 on the clock.
- A Maxey 3-pointer and two Montgomery free throws completed the spurt at 18-2, giving UK a 53-46 lead.
- UK pushed the lead to 11 at 59-48.
- Vanderbilt rallied with a 9-3 run to get it back within 62-57 but would get no closer.
- After the under-4:00 timeout, two straight 3-pointers by Quickley and a drive by Hagans provided a 13-point cushion at 70-57.
- All totaled, UK won the second half 51-28.
- Including the final five points of the first half, UK finished the game on a 56-28 surge.