SVA is your Sports Leader & Source for College Sports …
Content by DAYTON ATHLETICS – SPORTS VIEW AMERICA …
Please check us out on TWITTER …
Check us out on INSTAGRAM …
LIKE & SHARE us on FACEBOOK …
Jalen Crutcher Leads Three Double-Digit Flyers With 27 Points
ST. LOUIS – Jalen Crutcher scored 27 points, including 14 of Dayton’s final 21 points, to lead the University of Dayton to a 76-71 road win over No. 22 Saint Louis.
The Flyers never trailed in the game, but the Billikens battled back to tie the game 55-55 with 4:31 left in the game. Crutcher scored 12 of UD’s next 15 points, and Dayton made six free throws in the final 46 seconds to seal the win.
Ibi Watson scored 18 points and Elijah Weaver added a Dayton-best 12.
UD improves to 9-4 and 5-3 in the Atlantic 10, while SLU who played its first game since before Christmas due to Covid, is now 7-2, and 0-1 in the A-10.
1st Half: Dayton 36, Saint Louis 31
· UD jumped out to a 9-2 advantage, and led 12-6 at the first media break at the 13:46 mark. Jalen Crutcher hit two three-pointers, and assisted on two others for the Flyers’ 12 points.
· SLU was able to pull to within two at one point, but Dayton led by multiple possessions at each other media break – 14-10 at 11:54, 21-14 at 7:57 and 30-22 at 2:51.
· UD shot 41% from the field, 47% from beyond the arc and 70% from the line.
· The Billikens were 52% FG, 17% 3-pt., and 57% FT.
· Rebounds were tied 16-16.
2nd Half: Dayton 76, Saint Louis 71
· Dayton led at each of the first four timeouts with an advantage that ranged from four to seven points.
· But SLU fought back to tie the game at 55 with 4:31 to go.
· That’s when Jalen Crutcher stepped up. After scoring 13 points in the first half, Crutcher tallied 14 in the last 4:01 of the game.
· “Clutcher” drained a three, answered a SLU bucket with one of his own, and after a Mustapha Amzil three-pointer, scored Dayton’s next seven points to put UD up 70-62 with 1:02 left
· The Flyers then made six free throws – two each from Ibi Watson, Elijah Weaver and Crutcher – in the last 46 seconds of the game.
BY THE NUMBERS
· The 27 points put Jalen Crutcher over 20 points for the fifth time this season (fourth time in A-10 play) and moved him into the Top 25 in career scoring at UD. He is now 24th with 1,417 points.
· Ibi Watson scored 12 of his 18 points in the second half.
· Elijah Weaver had seven of his 12 in the second half.
· Jordy Tshimanga scored just one point, but grabbed 10 rebounds in 17 minutes. He was +13 in efficiency rating, more than double anyone else in the game.
· Crutcher, Watson and Mustapha Amzil shared team honors with three assists apiece.
· UD will be home for the first time in 17 days (and only the third time in January) when they play Rhode Island on Saturday, Jan. 30.
· That game tips at 4 p.m. ET.