SPORTS VIEW AMERICA – We Are Your Top Sports Source …
Content by – UK ATHLETICS ? Photo by DAVID REARIC – SPORTS VIEW AMERICA …
Please check us out on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, & FACEBOOK …
Thousands of Sports Photos located at SVA PHOTOS …
Sixth Sense: No. 3 Florida Rides Five-Run Sixth Inning to Victory
The Wildcats host Senior Night before Friday evening’s game
LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 3 Florida broke open a tie game with a five-run sixth inning to claim a 10-3 victory at Kentucky Proud Park in Thursday night’s series opener.
UK (35-16, 15-13 Southeastern Conference) had several chances to get to Florida starter Hurston Waldrep in the first half of the game but left seven runners stranded in the first five innings and were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
The Gators (41-12, 19-9) managed to cash in on their opportunities, including three doubles – two well-placed ones – in the sixth to take control. Catcher B.T. Riopelle drove in four runs to lead the charge.
UK starter Travis Smith spotted the Gators two runs in the first three batters of the game before retiring eight straight and not allowing another hit until the fateful sixth. A ground rule double opened the inning before a soft double off the end of the bat and double to the opposite field that landed just inside the line got the Gators going.
- UK Coach Nick Mingione is in his seventh season at the helm and now owns a 211-145 career record.
- UK is 39-39 in the month of May under Coach Mingione.
- Mingione now is 5-12 vs. Florida.
- UK has scored in 349 of 356 games in Mingione’s tenure.
- UK is 10-10 this season vs. ranked opponents.
- The Cats are 4-6 vs. Top Five opponents.
- UK is 24-5 at home this season.
- UK is 96-47 all-time at Kentucky Proud Park.
- Outfielder Jackson Gray He has reached safely in 20 consecutive games.
- He has hits in 19 of his last 20 games.
- Infielder Grant Smith went 2-for-3 with a double and a solo home run.
- He had his 11th SAC bunt of the year, tying teammate Jase Felker for the SEC lead.
- He has homered in three straight games.
- He is the second Wildcat to homer in three straight SEC games this month (James McCoy vs. South Carolina).
- He had six assists defensively.
Kentucky will host Florida on Senior Night Friday evening at 6:30 p.m. ET. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network (630 AM WLAP, locally) and it will be streamed on SEC Network+.