WE ARE your Sports Leader & Source for College Sports …
Content by RON HAMBLIN – Photo by MONT DAWSON – SPORTS VIEW AMERICA …
Please check us out on TWITTER …
Check us out on INSTAGRAM …
LIKE & SHARE us on FACEBOOK …
Thousands of Sports Photos located at SVA PHOTOS …
(South Carolina) UK is 4-0. Let that sink in for just a second. It hasn’t been easy though, but still 4-0. UK’s last 3 wins have been by 7 points or less, two against SEC opponents.
UK opened the season against UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT MONROE winning 45-10.
Game 2 was another win in the SEC opener against UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI 35-28.
Game 3 was against UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA 28-23 in a game that was supposed to be a blowout, but was a squeaker.
Game 4 was the Cats first road win and another SEC win against South Carolina 16-10.
What is unique about Kentucky’s 4-0 start? The Cats are minus 9 in turnovers in their win streak. That in and of itself is incredible.
According to info released by UK Athletics, this should shed some light on the Cats’ first 4 games:
Team Records and Series Information
- Kentucky is 4-0 overall 2-0 in the Southeastern Conference. South Carolina is 2-2, 0-2 in the SEC.
- UK is 4-0 for the second time under Coach Mark Stoops, also 2018.
- In the last 20 seasons UK also has been 4-0 in 2002, 2007 and 2008.
- UK is 2-0 in the SEC for first time since 2018 and only the second time since 1977.
- South Carolina leads the series, 18-14-1, although UK has won seven of the last eight.
- Next for Kentucky: UK returns to Lexington for a two-game home stand.
- On Saturday, October 2, the Wildcats will play host to Florida. Game time will be 6 p.m. Team Notes
- Kentucky has moved above .500 all-time, for the first time since 2012, with an all-time mark of 633-632-44.
- Since 2016, UK is 18-7 in games decided by seven points or less. UK has won its last five in a row in this category, including the last three games this season.
- The last time UK won three-straight games by seven points or less was 1933 when the Wildcats had consecutive close wins over Sewanee, Georgia Tech and Cincinnati.
- Kentucky has won an SEC road game for the seventh straight season, extending the school record for most consecutive seasons with a league road win.
- Kentucky defensive notes:
- Limited South Carolina to 51 total plays
- Limited South Carolina to 58 net rushing yards, just 2.2 yards per attempt. USC’s longest run was 10 yards.
- Limited South Carolina to 216 total yards.
- Limited South Carolina to 3 of 12 on third-down conversions and 0 of 3 on fourth down.
- Second time in the last five games that UK has shut out an opponent in the first half, also the Gator Bowl win over North Carolina State.
- UK rushed for 230 yards. In its two SEC wins this season, UK has averaged 285 yards rushing (also 340 vs. Missouri).
- Kentucky has scored touchdowns on its first possession the last three games.
They question now is how do the Cats defeat the cream of the SEC crop as they will host #11 Florida, then LSU before traveling to #3 Georgia and Mississippi State. Would the Cats be happy with another 7 point or less win over Florida or LSU? Absolutely. A win is a win. So far this season, Kentucky has appeared to be playing down to their opponents. Would BBN like to see the Cats blow out these teams, without a doubt.
There are a lot of things to get worked out. The biggest being turnovers. a minus 9 in turnovers simply will not allow you to beat the elite teams of the SEC. You cannot give teams like Florida or Georgia extra chances on offense. You can’t win that way.
Florida, UK’s next opponent is 3-1 with their only loss being a 29-31 home loss to the #1 team in the country, Alabama.