SPORTS VIEW AMERICA – Your Top Sports Team …
Content by DAYTON ATHLETICS – SPORTS VIEW AMERICA …
Please check us out on TWITTER .. Check us out on INSTAGRAM …
LIKE & SHARE us on FACEBOOK …
Thousands of Sports Photos located at SVA PHOTOS …
Roommates Koby Brea & Mustapha Amzil Lead UD With 16 Points Each Off The Bench
DAYTON – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team defeated UMass Wednesday by a score of 82-61. The Flyers extend their five-game win streak as they advance to 20-8 (12-3 A-10), and the Minutemen fall to 12-14 (5-9 A-10). With today’s win, Dayton coach Anthony Grant picks up his third 20-win season in his five years at UD.
A pair of redshirt freshmen Koby Brea and Mustapha Amzil led the team in scoring with 16 points apiece off the bench. Amzil and Brea were joined in double-digits by sophomore Toumani Camara (12), redshirt freshman R.J. Blakney (11), and freshman DaRon Holmes II (10). With his 16, Amzil also surpassed his season high scoring.
1st Half: Dayton 46, UMass 23
· Kobe Elvis opened the game with a three-pointer from the corner on Dayton’s second possession.
· All five of Dayton’s starters scored in the first four minutes as UD led 10-7 early.
· The Flyer’s offense continued with the hot start making seven of the team’s first 10 attempts from the field.
· A 14-2 run from Dayton put the Flyers up 28-14. The run featured four UMass turnovers and five consecutive made field goals for Dayton.
· Koby Brea scored eight straight points for the Flyers, putting Dayton up 33-19.
· The Minutemen were held to just one made field goal off seven attempts, while Dayton went eight for 10 at the same time.
· The Flyers lengthened their lead by making 18 total bench points before the half came to a close.
· Dayton had twice as many points with a shooting percentage of 69% compared to UMass’ 30%.
· Dayton wrapped up the first half by creating its largest lead of the game at 46-23 on a steal and assist by Brea that led to a layup by Elvis
2nd Half: Dayton 82, UMass 61
· Toumani Camara started the Flyers’ second half with field goals in Dayton’s first two possessions. This extended their largest lead of the night to 27 points.
· The Minutemen contained the Flyers’ offense by holding them off with a 3:06 scoring drought.
· Dayton responded with an 8-0 run to extend the lead back to 20 with 11 minutes left, this lead stood for the remainder of the contest.
· Dayton’s bench saw playing time towards the end of the game as they extended the Flyers’ bench points to 36.
· Blakney saw seven of his 11 points in the half, while Amzil led Dayton in the half with eight.
· Dayton shot 5-8 (63%) from beyond the arch in the half.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· Five Flyers hit double digits Koby Brea (16), Mustapha Amzil (16), Toumani Camara (12), R.J. Blakney (11), and DaRon Holmes II (10).
· Dayton recorded assists on 17 of the teams 32 field goals. Malachi Smith led Dayton with nine.
· UD saw a balance in minutes on the floor, with 12 Flyers entering the game, and seven players playing at least 20 minutes.
· The Flyers turned UMass over nine times, giving Dayton 15 points off turnovers.
· UD outrebounded UMass 36-24. Camara, Smith and Amzil each had six.
· Dayton commanded the paint throughout the game, scoring 40 inside while holding UMass to 18.
· The Flyers head on the road to Philadelphia Saturday, at La Salle at 2 p.m. ET.
· The La Salle game will air on ESPN+
· Dayton’s final home game will be March 5, against the Davidson Wildcats at 12:30 p.m. ET.