SPORTS VIEW AMERICA – Your Top Sports Team …
Content by UK ATHLETICS – SPORTS VIEW AMERICA …
Please check us out on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, & FACEBOOK …
Thousands of Sports Photos located at SVA PHOTOS …
The Commodores take advantage of free bases, grab Friday night win
LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 19 Vanderbilt pitched a no-hitter in Friday night’s series opener at Kentucky Proud Park, defeating Kentucky 10-0 for its 10th win over the Wildcats in the last 11 meetings.
The Commodores, last season’s College World Series runners-up, used a pair of pitchers including starter Chris Elvain, on the evening. Offensively, each of Vanderbilt’s first six runs either reached base on a walk or hit by pitch or were forced in by a walk, taking advantage of UK’s miscues.
The Wildcats nearly got on the board to tie the game at two when Reuben Church’s long fly ball to left field was hauled in at the fence. It was the closest the Cats (21-17, 5-11 SEC) came to grabbing a hit, as they zero hits were the fewest since South Carolina held them to one in 2015.
- UK is 46-of-51 on stolen base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 398 in 38 games.
- The Cats had a pair of outfield assists in the game.
- Junior INF Chase Estep has reached base safely in 36 of 38 games this season.
- He now has stolen 12-of-15 bases this season.
- Senior RHP Daniel Harper made his 91st career appearance. He is fifth on the all-time list and needs two more to move past Josh Paxton into fourth.
- Senior OF Oraj Anu pinch hit in the eighth inning, his first at bat since injuring his hand on March 9.
Kentucky will host No. 19 Vanderbilt on Saturday. First pitch is at noon ET on the SEC Network. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.
Follow along with the Cats on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and on the web at UKathletics.com.